Saturday, September 25, 2010

A place to lay my head

So is it weird that I am 33 years old, married, have two kids with one on the way and live in my in-laws basement?  What will people think?! Don't you want "your own space?"  Aren't you mooching just a little too much; I mean come on, you're an adult right?  Whether it's my paranoia or the occasional opinions I hear from others, I feel compelled to evaluate this in writing before the blogging world.... 

What began as a temporary arrangement to help us pay down some debt and decide which part of this new city we wanted to live in has transformed into a great mission that God has laid on our hearts.  Confirmed already...  I'll go on anyway...  We have a great relationship with my husband's parents and they fortunately think the same of us.  Are any of us perfect?  NO.  Do we have our minds on heavenly things and not our present comforts?  YES.  Maybe, I should not put "yes" in all caps because I know that I am in a constant battle to be more heavenly minded.  How easy it is for me to forget that what I see in front of me will not be what matters when my life passes from this world.  Well, to a certain extent, but not the trivial, temporal and physical things. 

Like a house. 

I have a good job that would afford a comfortable home in a nice and safe neighborhood and I am thankful for it.  But is that what I am supposed to strive for when my kids need a mother who wants to train them to thrive in the world that God made them in?  Michael and I have both come the conclusion that for the time being and as far as we can see ahead in the future, this is where we need to be....living in the basement beneath his parents.  It has become our home and it is a sweet home to us.  We have everything and more than what we need.  And while it may be cozy and at times less than ideal, it is a good reminder to me that it is still a gift and God is calling us to use our finances for Him...for His plan for our lives...His purposes. 

I have been reminded of Matthew 8:20 when I get discontent with where we are....
   
"Jesus said to him, "The foxes have holes and the birds of
the air have nests, but the
Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head."

Thank you God for this home and the willing hearts that have come along on this journey to look at You more and on our "needs" less.  You know what we need and have provided abundantly. 

I look forward to every day that I can know God more and experience the breadth of the knowledge of Him that I am tasting so very little of right now.  And with that in mind, I am abundantly grateful that He has given me the heart to live where I am because I can focus more on Him and less on me.  He already focuses enough on me that I have no cause to look at what "I need,"  He is already working that out.

Randy Alcorn quotes Paul Marshall in his book Heaven

"This world is our home: we are made to live here.  It has been devastated by sin, but God plans to put it right.  Hence, we look forward with joy to newly restored bodies and to living in a newly restored heaven and earth.  We can love this world because it is God's, and it will be healed, becoming at last what God intended from the beginning." 

I love what You made God and I am so grateful for the home you gave to me for this time.  It is allowing me to know You more and be more open to doing things for You that I never would have thought of before.  Everything I have is already Yours so why bother trying to hold onto what I think I should have?  Silly when I think of it that way...






1 comment:

  1. I love hearing your thoughts! Wonderful. Great reminders... You are a sweet sister to me.

    ReplyDelete