Friday, November 30, 2012

Believing

Twenty Five days until Christmas and the decorating fever has hit our home.  Children make this time of year exciting in and of themselves and I have 3 who are oooing and aahhing over all the special pretties we get to bring out and light up.  Like a dutiful mommy I am glad to put up the tree and spend an hour separating each branch to hide the fact that it is artificial and string the lights, some of which decide to stop working just after I've finished the tree :)  Yes, I have always enjoyed decorating for Christmas but this year it is different.



I was hoping we would be moved into our new home by this time and we would be decking the halls in our first house.  I have so much packed away that I actually asked my hubby what he would think of me purchasing a new, fairly inexpensive dinner set since I packed much of ours away (it just seemed easier than unpacking since I wanted an extra set of plates anyway).  People kept giving the impression that "we were almost there"  "hope to close next week" "goal is to close tomorrow!"  So naturally I packed more and more things wanting to be ready when the day seemed so imminent. 



I realized yesterday what a gift it was to be upon Christmas.  We decided to put up the tree and decorate as if we were staying, forget about waiting to do things until we are moved.  It has been such a joy to my soul!  In all of the uncertainty of our living circumstances I sensed such a deep peace to just focus on celebrating Jesus' birth.  In the past couple of months I had struggled with understanding why I was continually disappointed when we realized each week that moving wasn't going to happen at that time.  How pathetic I felt to be bothered by it all when I have a warm and nice place to live right now, no worry for giving notice to be out by the end of the month, no lost rent money if we move before the end of a month.  I believed that it was just a house and that my peace doesn't come from my circumstances so why did I feel this struggle each time we had a let down?

Something incredible happened in my heart when we put up that tree, got out special decorations that we made last year.  It was sort of a declaration in my heart that we are going to stay put until we are told otherwise and I don't need to do anything more to prepare to move....or to prepare to stay.

 Prepare your heart for right now and just believe in Me
 
I took the kids out to pick up a few more boxes of lights and ribbon and glanced at a sign that said "believe."  I figure most signs like that are referring to Santa so it didn't take me by surprise.  But I thought about it from a different angle.  Romans 15:13 says "Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
 
It's a nice verse.  Makes people feel good.  Everybody wants hope and at this time of year some people are more interested in God or at least doing good.  Fine.  But later I realized that it is IN MY BELIEVING that I can be filled with joy and peace....by the God of hope, no less! 
 
BELIEVE 

A majority of the people reading this celebrate Christmas.....do you believe? 
 
 
 
Do you believe that God was born as a man and came down, lowered Himself, to be like us?  Do you believe that He did it because God actually wants to have a relationship with you?  Do you believe that you don't have to be perfect and have it all together to go to Him, that He is actually drawn to those who admit they are a mess without Him? 
 
 
 
Believe!  Believe in Him, that He's good and faithful, that everything He says is true.  Believe in His word.....that though you may not understand it all now it was placed on this earth for you to know Him!
 
BELIEVE 
 
It is in believing that we will find joy and peace.  When I put up that tree and pulled all those trinkets and homemade ornaments out I was confirming that yes I believe, I believe in Jesus Christ and I'm going to celebrate big time that He came down to love me, to save me.  And there isn't a crazy bank, or legal system or postponed moving date that is going to take that away. 
 
"...Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved...." Acts 16:31

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment